Monday, October 30, 2006

FYS Discussion Blog 10/31

Well, first of all there hasn't been too much in class discussion, so I guess I'll throw in a few things about some of the peformances, and reminisce about the days where we did some discussion.

Although I have thoroughly enjoyed the performances, I would really rather read and discuss books like "In the Country of Country" and "Deep Blues." It seems to me like the performances have kind of been hit or miss; either somebody has a background in guitar/bass or music in general, or they don't and its more of an abstract presentation complimented with a Powerpoint.

In terms of the actual discussions, I really enjoy the Q+A sessions after the performances, as well as some of the ideas that stem from the performances, including the idea to teach/do swing dance as a Jamboree final project. I guess in that sense (sparking new ideas) the performances have been successful, but I would really rather read about/listen to music and discuss it the way we did the first few weeks or so of class.

I guess I can't really complain about the discussions that we have had, it just seems that they're a little few and far between.

-Brady

No comments: