Sunday, November 19, 2006

Gospel Part 2 (Technical Problems...)

First of all, I really couldn't get the second Gospel Playlist to work. I could get a song playing, and then it would be fine, but somewhere in the middle of it (or doing the transition to the next song), a second song would start playing. It would also take several minutes to get the next song playing, if it would even start playing.

That aside, I really enjoyed "Yonder Come Day" by New Year Shout. I think I got that title right, but I'm not one-hundred percent sure. The songs that I was able to listen to had what I would consider a more "religious" sound--lyrics that dealt directly with the church and other aspects of religion. This also could have been just because the songs were more modern, but I think that this playlist seemed more religiously tied than the previous.

"Sit Down Servant" by the Staple Singers was an example of this more modern sound, and was also the only group from the playlist (that I can remember at least) that I had heard of before. If I'm not mistaken, they were a 70's soul group, which seems to be different than the other artists on the playlist......

1 comment:

Nic McPhee said...

Bummer about the technical problems. Do you know if other people had similar problems? I know I've had more trouble in the classroom this year than last, but I'm not sure what the underlying issue is.

I certainly didn't intend for this list to be more "overtly" religious than the first one. In fact I just put together the big list, and then allowed iTunes to randomly divide them into two equal sized groups for me. It might be worth going back and revisiting the first list again and tracking the lyrics a little more closely?

Both "Yonder comes day" and "Sit down servant definitely had more "modern" production values. The Staples started out as a strictly gospel group in the 50's, and moved to more pop/soul in the 60's and 70's. (See Wikipedia or AllMusic for more.